Invoke the enchanting and mystical magic of the goddess, Freyja. Channel her energy with journal reflection questions and invoke her spirit with a fire divination ritual.
Coming in with bright, spring-like energy at the close of the year feels foreign -
And yet, that is what Freyja invites you to do.
To incite that passion and drive needed to finish strong, to bring the magical final touches to the year, so you can greet the new with a wide open heart and no regrets, no lingering feelings of "maybe I should've done…"
Norse goddess of love, fertility, battle, death, and seiðr (magic for seeing and influencing the future), Freyja is here with bright, bold, and brilliant energy for us to look towards the remaining weeks with new eyes.
Freyja Reflection Questions:
- Do you have a project that feels stale, or something you've had on your to-do list for forever that you've been putting off? How can you now infuse these with fresh energy?
- Was there something on your 2022 bucket list you haven't gotten around to doing yet? As the holiday season approaches, everything can feel fast and all at once - so taking time to schedule in the things you want to do from now would benefit you in the long run.
- Can you go one step further and think of possible goals and plans for 2023? They don't have to be detailed, it can simply be a desire to travel. How can you mindfully create the space and time needed for you to accomplish what you wish next year? What skills and tools do you need to hone in preparation for success?
Freyja, mistress of magic:
Seidr (pronounced “SAY-der;” Old Norse seiðr, “cord, string, snare”), named thus because it was a Nordic method of divination - specifically, looking at the threads of fate and seeing how to weave it differently to enact change.
Seidr usually involved a prophecy, a blessing, or a curse. The shaman would use a ritual distaff to perform the divination, and would thereby enter a trance to interact with the spirit world.
In the words of Archaeologist Neil Price:
"There were seiðr rituals for divination and clairvoyance; for seeking out the hidden, both in the secrets of the mind and in physical locations; for healing the sick; for bringing good luck; for controlling the weather; for calling game animals and fish. Importantly, it could also be used for the opposite of these things – to curse an individual or an enterprise; to blight the land and make it barren; to induce illness; to tell false futures and thus to set their recipients on a road to disaster; to injure, maim and kill, in domestic disputes and especially in battle."
Seidr Fire Divination Ritual:
What you will need:
1 White Candle
A dish for the candle
Ritual items of your choice (crystals, wand, goddess statue etc.)
Journal & pen
- Create your sacred space - whether by lighting incense, sage, or palo santo; closing the windows; putting on soothing music; adorning yourself with your favourite jewels. Anything to make your space feel comfortable and divine.
- Come into a comfortable seated position, whether on the floor or on a chair. Place your unlit candle in front of you, where you can easily focus your gaze.
- Close your eyes and invoke Freyja: I call upon you, oh mistress of magic and sight. Allow me to see what has been hidden from mine eyes.
- Light the candle and be aware of your breathing. Focus on the flame, while also relaxing your gaze; allow the flame to fill your vision. Take smooth, deep, steady breaths. Whatever thoughts that crop up, let them fall away into the fire. Soon, you will reach a state of calm - and from there, whispers of your spirit will guide you
Some may see shapes in the flame; some may hear things; some may have sudden, intuitive hits.
When you feel you have achieved what you needed from the fire, close your eyes and blow out the flame. Release the energy back with the smoke that rises, letting it dissipate and return to the Universe.
Be sure to keep track of what came up for you, and leave some space afterwards for the messages to integrate.
A key thing to remember is to not assign a story in the moment or immediately afterwards; but rather, allow the messages you received to sink in - their meaning will become clear to you in time.
Step into the final weeks of the year confidently, goddess, filled with the knowledge that you got this.
You already have all the tools and skills you need to succeed and thrive - and to greet the new year with a joyous heart
Written for Terra Luna Sol by: